Thursday 27th November 2014,
AlvaroBautista.co.uk | The Alvaro Bautista Fansite

Álvaro’s column, Malaysia: In Valencia we’ll ride for you, Marco

SV October 25, 2011 Featured, News 18 Comments

AS has published Álvaro’s latest column today, following the fatal crash of long-time rival Marco Simoncelli at the Malaysian Grand Prix last weekend. Álvaro wrote an open letter to Marco and, as he tweeted prior to the publication, it was by far the most difficult column he ever had to write.
Below you find the complete translation.

Dear Marco: I don’t know how to begin, it is difficult to say anything after such a tough weekend for the followers of motorcycle racing. Everything that’s happened in Sepang, the thrilling 125cc race with Nico Terol very close to claiming the title, the absence of Marc Marquez in Moto2 and leaving the championship for Bradl to take, the injuries of other riders who I wish a speedy recovery, the good feeling I had in practice and then in the race I could have ended up with a good result… Everything was overshadowed by your accident.

Your passion. You and I know that there is a a lot of risk in this sport and that, fortunately, safety is getting better. But sometimes things like this happen and it’s really when people realize that this is not a game and we play with our lives here. I will not tell you how those moments were in the paddock when we heard the news, because I think we’ve already cried and suffered a lot. I think we should remember you as someone who died doing what he loved, what all the riders love the most. Riding a bike.

Direct rival. I had the opportunity to be one of your rivals in the 250cc class, where we had many fights. You’ve always been a very controversial rider on the track, going very close to the limit and sometimes over it, but always giving a show, giving the spectators reasons to fall in love with racing. And if you were peculiar on the track, off it you couldn’t go unnoticed; with that hair like Jimi Hendrix, with that lax style of walking, that peculiar voice speaking an Italian funny to listen to.

Championship leader. 2008 was your great year, you spent two seasons in the 250cc class without getting a single podium, but that year changed everything, you started to get on the rostrum regularly, winning races and like it wasn’t a big deal you took over the lead in the championship with a good advantage. We had many fights in the races, with touches and off-track excursions. At the end you won the championship, at the same Sepang International Circuit. The following year we even spent some time at Race Direction now and then to review controversial actions, do you remember? Honestly, my relationship with you off the track changed and we hardly exchanged a word. But this year everything was different. Unfortunately or fortunately because of the situation in Japan, the riders had many meetings and this made us more united, we returned to a good relationship like we had before. You know you’ve been a great rider who was always on the limit, always enjoying what you were doing, always giving your best, always fighting. Even in your last lap on the circuit, when again I was with you, you did not stop fighting, it has always been difficult to pass you, you never let anyone twist your arm and always resisted or stayed inside or outside the racing line to avoid losing your position. On that last lap we passed each other six times in just two corners. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I know you did too, as we always did in a fight like this one.

In the paddock. Then, the circuit that had given you your best moment in life took it away from you. At the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) you left us. How strange will it be to walk through the paddock not seeing you… But your memory will always be with us, we will never forget you and you will be sorely missed. But I am convinced that wherever you are, you will also follow us.

To your loved ones. I’m about to say goodbye, because I have a lot inside, but it is very difficult to write it down in these moments. I want to send your family, your girlfriend Kate, your friends, mechanics, the people on your team and your fans my most sincere and heartfelt condolences. And I tell you that at the next race in Valencia everyone who goes to the track, which will surely be many, will go there for you. In your memory. We will race for you. We dedicate this to you. Because you’ll always be in our hearts.

Source: AS.com

18 Comments

1. steph kendra October 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

Alvaro,
    Best tribute to an amazing rider that any one could write, I was crying all of the way through reading this as it all finally begins to sink in the one of the bright stars for MotoGP’s future has left us!

All my love at this hard time
    Steph x

2. Andromeda October 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm

very touching,,Alvaro still remind the battles from the 250 class,,and those two finally get to battle too in MotoGP class,it will be lonely for Bautista,because those two share many experiences,,
    thanks Alvaro,,for writing such a touching letter and thanks Marco for a unforgettable moments in MotoGP.
    as Alvaro said before “you’ll always be in our hearts”.

3. dudulalah October 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm

very well said alvaro…i remember your many battles on-track and we miss him…

4. vanessa chesnet October 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

rip 58 , Alvaro what a lovely read on marco got tears in my eyes he will be missed so much xx

5. Martin Huychinson October 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Alvaro, do your best for Marco. I will be there with friends and we will make him and his family proud with our respect for him. RIP Marco
    Martin

6. TCarrow October 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thank you, Alvaro. Beautiful words from a great rider to a great rider. May we never forget.

7. ronald October 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

the only thing i can say is RESPECT,
    when you ride the next race at valencia, ride it like brother and share youre hearts and memory for Marco Simoncelli

(RIP Simoncelli you never ride alone )

8. sharon October 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

what lovely heart felt words alvaro. sending you and marco’s gp family,his family,friends and girlfriend lots of love.

RIP Marco simoncelli 58 you will be sorely missed you will be forever in our hearts.gods speed 58.x

9. Willem October 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm

What a great, touching letter to memorate Marco Simoncelli.
    I remember the rivalry between you guys back in 2008/2009, so it is really nice to read that you two returned to having a good relationship again. You’re kind and sincere words could not be any better example of that.

Thank you.

10. Marijn October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Nice words Alvaro. Valencia will be for Sic and his team.
    Be nice to Vale…. He also needs you all at the moment

11. Si October 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Great tribute … Very, very moving…

RIP #58

12. Marga Keereweer October 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My eyes were filled with tears while reading your lovely “farewell” letter to Marco, Alvaro. Because of you and Marco I began to enjoy watching motogp! Thanx Marco for your performance: RIP #58, forever in our hearts

13. Carlo Kools October 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Much respect for Alvaro, heartbreaking the way you wrote this!!!!

Alvaro be strong in this difficult time.

SuperSic#58 I will never forget you!

14. Mark October 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Dear Alvaro

The letter you have written at such a difficult time is a testament to your humility and sportsmanship.

At a time like this, you and your rivals are a family and can help each other through it. As you have done, remember the good days, the battles and the fact that you remained friendly rivals.

A huge amount of respect for you share your thoughts.

All the best for the future.

Mark

15. Chris jones October 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Lovely tribute Alvaro , fans , riders and friends worldwide are feeling this devastating loss . # 58 , Marco ….. We will always remember you

16. Johan October 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

We will support all the drivers in Valencia, we will be there.

It will be a difficult race but do it for SuperSIC.

@Alvaro Thank you for your open letter and the feelings you have. Be strong, you will need it in the future.

17. Brian October 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Alvaro
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very honest and moving words at this difficult time.
    I’m sure Marco would be proud of these kind words from any of his peers.
    Regards
    Brian

18. Jaume October 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Dear Alvaro,

Thank you for such honest and sensible letter. Not only flattering words for Marco. You described the tough competition, but also the moments in which you met again as fair sportmen.

I am sure racing in Valencia will be a hard task for all of you. But you are professionals and this is your passion. We will support all you, and thank you once more for the good rides you dedicate us.

RIP Marco. You will be certainly missed. All my loved to Marco’s family and close friends. Paolo’s behaviour was exquisite. A real gentleman. Keep your passion, keep our passion alive.

My respect to all of you.

Leave A Response